Friday, May 10, 2013

PyEphem

As I was thinking about the conversion process that will need to be done, I figured out that I was over thinking it. The angles that my ArduIMU puts out should all give me the coordinates in the horizontal (or altitude-azimuth). This means I only have to do one conversion, from horizontal coordinates to equatorial coordinates. Luckily, I have found equations that allow you to do this easy. As I was searching for those equations though I found something even better.

I found a python library called PyEphem (here is their website). This library actually has a conversion function built in. It also has several other useful tools that I was going to have to create from scratch. The only downside is that it is for python. From what I've read so far I can create some kind of jython interface that will allow java to use the python module. Everyone says it is simple and easy to do so I think I'll give it a try.

The PyEphem site also has some nice links to databases of celestial objects. They don't seem to be too large so I should be able to store at least some of them on the RPI's SD card. Here is where those links are located.

I also found some java libraries that are similar, but no where near as functional as PyEphem. I am thinking this one might be the most useful. It would allow me to do some things inside the java code which could save some needed time when the program is running. I'm planning on working on the project as much as possible this weekend, unless it isn't cloudy. Then I'll be testing out my new camera!

If you have any suggestions or questions, please leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment